March 23, 2006

BAAM!


Yesterday night was our theatre performance.
It was scheduled at 8:30PM in a little theater in my town. I was supposed to meet the group at 7:30PM there, so I decided to go by bus, as my boyfriend needed the car to come to the performance later.
There were 4 different buse lines to go there, so I took the first bus coming and went in. My map indicated where to get off at and mentionned to walk for 5 minutes.

So here I was, in the bus, carefully counting the stops (Nota-Bene : I always get lost when I take a bus. It’s like a rule. I found it very risky to take a bus line I don’t know yet… Bus is tricky. I prefer taking metro or train, it's so much easier. Anyway...)
So I got off at presumably the right stop, according to the map.

Okay, so now, what shall I do ?… No idea. Let's try this way.
Shit. This street is not on my map. Still, let’s go this way and see.

So I head to a lane that gives onto another street.

Okay. What’s that road now? Not on my map either…
Okay there’s a big town plan over there… Let’s go and have a look.

But... it was a plan of… Clamart ! And the place I’m looking for is supposed to be in Issy ! My pocket map only detailed Issy, and the big town plan in front of me … roads of Clamart. Great. The place I was looking for probably was just a few inches out of the town limits, so the plan didn't show it. How lucky I am !

7:50PM. So here I was, calling my boyfriend, and leaving a message asking him to call me back as soon as possible to help me find my way in this crappy neighbourhood.

Another glance at the 2 maps. No idea where to go…
But wait… just in front of me is the Percy Hospital. Which is good news, if I trust my pocket map. Okay, so, let’s look for a clue near the building to locate myself on my map.

This proved not to be helpful either. And why was there nobody hanging around in this area ?
I mean, there really was nobody. Just cars. I wasn’t going to stop a car to ask directions ! What if the driver suggested to give me a lift ? No way. Not a good idea.
So I just started walking up the road to see how it was up there.
Walking alone in a deserted neighbourhood on a rainy night... How depressing.

A car passes by me and stops 15 meters further, warning lights blinking. I wonder if it stopped for me.. Yes, it could be someone from my theatre group who saw me all lost !!
When I come closer, I notice the car's license plate. Wait, I know this number… Hey!! this is our car ! This is my boyfriend stopping for me !

All excited and relieved, I hurry up to the car, open the front passenger door and BBAAAAAAAMMMM !!!

I just knocked myself right in the nose, with my glasses on.

Shocked, I start crying and touching my nose and glasses with my hands, while my boyfriend hurries out of the car. I can feel the shock reverberating inside my head. He checks if my nose was broken or bleeding (hopefully it wasn't) and helps me sit down in the car seat. I’m all tears, as the emotion rises :

  1. First, I was lost,
  2. then BAAAAMMM this did hurt, trust me,
  3. last but not least : I am going to look like a freaky wrestler during our performance !!!

This is how lucky I am.
My nose was all swollen and started getting violet-blue when we got there.
Hopefully someone got me ice cubes and some arnica to heal my nose.

After a while it looked okay. Hopefully it did not turn blue and the performance went well.
People laughed and reacted to the scenes, which is positive. It means we managed to fuel emotions, even if we’re not Hollywood actors;-))

Since then, my nose hurts when I lower my head to put my shoes on, when I blow my nose or sneeze… but I’m feeling okay. I’m accident prone, so I’m used to these thing. A couple of months ago I got a tennis ball right on my nose. 10 days ago, I cut my thumb shucking apples. And the next day or so I burnt my finger with the flatiron.

It is quite scary how often these thing happen to me… Many of my girlfriends tell me stories alike. But rarely boys.
That leads me to three conclusions (Dunno if they're all true - I can only speak for myself!)

  1. Women use cooking and household appliances more often so accidents affect her particularly (this isn’t true in my case – my guy is a great at housework and cooking ;-)
  2. Boys just don’t admit or even talk about these things. They have to convey a strong image of themselves. They don’t wanna look wimp or delicate.
  3. Girls are less dexterous than boys. (Speaking for myself, I have a bad sense of space – I think I evaluate distances badly, which is why I'm always hitting myself on doorframes or stuff like that. Just a theory - maybe my eyes do not function properly ?)

It does scare my boyfriend how I often hurt myself… Anyway, this is how I am, no matter how much I try, I can’t really change it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home