March 24, 2006

Pregnant... not me!


I've just learnt of a co-worker's pregnancy. She's expecting her second child. I am so happy for her!!
That's funny how things move on quickly. I've only been working here for less than a year, and in the meantime I've witnessed the following changes :
- M. adopted her second child => left on "maternity" leave, and came back
- E. came back from maternity leave. Later on she got pregnant again, but unfortunately she lost her child
- S. came back from maternity leave
- T. got pregnant, left on maternity leave and hasn't come back yet
- I. now is pregnant. **And I wish her all the best!**
Amazing, huh ? And I'm just talking about people I know, because there are also many other women pregnant or on maternity leaves in other departments !

Have you ever had this feeling - like there suddenly are a lot of pregnant women out there ?
Every now and then, I notice lots of pregnant women. As if there was a sudden increase in pregnancies.

I don't know if it's just a wrong belief or if it's actually true.

I mean, these last years, I've certainly felt more concerned by this topic - as everyone settles in, finds their special someone and everything. So perhaps I've just been more aware of this than usual.

Or maybe this is just because France is experiencing a mini "baby boom" with more babies being born here than in any other country in the European Union. French women have on average 1.9 children each (compared to an average of 1.4 for European Union countries).

Anyway, I guess both explanations are plausible.

Often when I see a baby, I'm so soft-hearted, saying things like "Ohhhhhhh-he's-so-sweeeet!!!"
Once, a Mom was playing with her baby in the train, he was so sweet, smiling and laughing... Watching them bonding just made my day ;-)
But when I'm sitting in the train going back home and there's a baby crying loud all ride long (my train is always full of families coming back from a day in Disneyland Paris), I'm not touched at all. I'm just throwing glances at them thinking "Oh, Pleeeease, DO something !"
But I know being a Mom is not an easy job !!!! So congratulations to all Moms reading this post, I'm sure you're wonderful with your kids !
I hope I'll be a great Mom too !

1 Comments:

At 6:14 pm, Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

I sat behind the cutest baby on the train into work today - she was pointing at everything passing by the window. But then she was sick down her Dad's shoulder. This is why it might be better to be an uncle or aunty for now - all of the fun, none of the hassle.

Good blog - how's Paris today - still rioting?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home