March 27, 2006

Typical - having diner at Bistro Romain

On Saturday night, we went to Bistro Romain (French chain of restaurants) to have dinner. When we got there, the place was full, so the waitress gave us complimentary “kirs” (aperitif made of blackcurrant liqueur and white wine) while waiting.
Wow, I like that ! Especially as we already had some vouchers to get 2 free meals !!! I love complimentary stuff…

So we finally got seated at a table and ordered – tantalizing starters and main courses which revealed to be very yummy!…

While Mr T. (my boyfriend) was going to the bathroom, I started glancing at a table of Japanese tourists nearby, a family of 5. They had just ordered desserts and they looked sated but still quite excited about the meal.
And then I caught sight of the daughter, quickly grabbing the neat, spotless red paper napkin provided by the restaurant, and carefully burying it into her handbag, as a treasured souvenir. I could clearly perceive the look of excitement and satisfaction on her face.

Then the waiter arrived at their table with their ice-cream desserts served in goblets. To the look on their faces, I could see how impressed they were by the look of the desserts, and how eager they were to taste these delicacies ! The waiter was barely gone when they started taking photos of their desserts…

I suppose everything in the restaurant looked typically European to them, as the ‘Bistro Romain’ chain of restaurants is all about Roman Antiquity : patterns with little angels/cherubs, pictures of famous Italian Renaissance paintings, white columns, etc.

It’s funny how some things can be commonplace and trivial to you, because You have always seen them and they’re part of your routine, whereas they will be special and unique to others.

PS : Just in case, I very much recommend the "Gratin d'aubergines" and the "Risotto à la Milanaise et saumon mi-cuit aux herbes"... So Yummy......

1 Comments:

At 3:43 pm, Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

Sounds delicious!
The other day I saw a group of Japanese students photographing a taxi as it waited at the traffic lights. The taxi driver looked very confused. I wanted to photograph them, but I thought that might be taking it too far (:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home