April 05, 2006

Another train story : the free ticket woman

Yesterday, when going home from work, I was heading toward the ticket gates in the train station when I heard a woman shouting at a RATP employee at the counter (RATP is the company running the public transport network in Paris).

I stopped just a short moment to hear what she was complaining about :
" Just give me the bloody ticket ! I know you [the RATP] are making loads of profit ! You sell advertising space, don't tell me you're not making profit ! "
She was using the most contemptible tone of voice imaginable.

I suppose this woman wanted to have a free public transport ticket.

The employee, who I presume often faces discontented public transport users, was breathless. She was completely gobsmacked. I was too !

First of all, this argument was completely irrelevant. Public transport is a service, you're just supposed to pay for it. If you manage to get in without paying, well, good for you - but claiming you're entitled to have a free ticket... this is something else !
I'm sure this woman wouldn't have asked this to a cabdriver !
I can picture the woman at the checkout in a supermarket, saying she's entitled to a full trolley of goods free because the supermarket is making profit ...

And come on, the RATP isn't the typical example of a company making huge profits out of its clients ! This is a public transport company...
Did she confuse RATP with TOTAL or WALMART ?!!!!

I can still remember the face of the ratp employee. I am sure she wasn't aware of her employer's huge profits.... The big multinational RATP....

Anyway... I had to fly to catch my train so I didn't hear the end of the story... Did the woman get her ticket ? I hope not !!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home